Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My addiction.

You may recall that I made the decision to quit running in January. That decision was made for a variety of reasons: burnout plus an ache in my right hip joint that I couldn't get rid of. I decided I would just walk and do other cardio (stationary bike, StairMaster, elliptical) at the gym and resign myself to the ranks of ex-runners.

I passed on the opportunity to train with a friend for a 10K this spring.

I told everyone who asked that I was no longer running. I even put it on facebook.

I gave away my super-nice Nike running pants.

I wore my Nike running shoes out in the muddy yard.

I couldn't stop thinking about it.

There was this constant nagging. Every time I went to and left the gym, I felt let-down—empty.

So yesterday I banged the dried mud off my running shoes. I got to the gym twenty minutes before Strive and got on the treadmill. I walked five minutes. Then I bumped it up to 5.0 (very slow) and ran for four minutes. Walked four. Ran another four. Walked the last four. It took me twenty-one minutes to go a mile and a half, but what blessed relief! I felt like an addict finally getting her fix. And so far, no hip pain.

I realize the treadmill will be a little easier on my joints, but I also know that I was wearing my old Asics during the fall, and I wonder if that's why my hip was aching. For now I will stick to short intervals on the treadmill and wear my Nike running shoes.

I just can't make myself give it up yet.

Be thankful ~

No comments: